Marker on the corner of Alabama Highway 69 and County Road 747
in Simcoe. The sign reads "Mace
T. Brindley Pioneer Family Home Site 1832 and Cemetery 1
mile". This cemetery is located about a mile north Hwy.
69, on County Road 747. It is known that it was the first cemetery
in the area, established after 1819, when Mace moved to the Mountain.
History, newspaper articles, and family stories can account for
only 9 of the 15 graves within the rock and wrought iron fence.
Mace, his wife Nancy, and Mace, Jr., are side by side. Mace,
Jr. died at age 27, cause unknown to us today.
The only double stone there, marks the graves of Mary
W.M. "Molly" almost 4, and her
brother, John, 2 years old, who died one day apart in 1863
from Typhoid Fever. They were the only children of Mace's son,
Benton. Then there is John
"Hanby", Mace's 4th child, who, at age 15 died
as the result of a fall from his horse.
Dunn, who died just before her 4th birthday, was the daughter
Lavina Brindley Dunn, Mace's oldest daughter, and is buried
next to her sister, also only 4 years old, Manila
Josephine Dunn. The children's father, William
J. Dunn, who was a Mason, is buried beside them.
We know that 4 children of early German immigrants are buried
there, although only one of the 4 graves is marked: Julia Linderman.
There are the 2 Schnitker children, also, but only sandstone
rocks mark their presence, and there are 3 graves remaining which
may never be identified.
State Historical Marker placed at the cemetery.
Nancy S. Brindley and Mace T.P. Brindley's
MACE T. P. BRINDLEY'S FAMILY CEMETERY